Chevrolet Unveils Its All-New Corvette Stingray
Chevrolet unveiled its 2014 Corvette Stingray on Jan. 13, 2013 in Detroit, Mich. The 2014 Corvette Stingray has an estimated 450 horsepower (335 kW) and 450 lb.-ft. of torque (610 Nm). It is able to accelerate from 0 - 60 in less than four seconds and achieve more than 1g in cornering grip. The 2014 Stringray is also expected to be the most fuel-efficient Corvette, exceeding the EPA-estimated 26 mpg of the current model.
“Like the ‘63 Sting Ray, the best Corvettes embodied performance leadership, delivering cutting-edge technologies, breathtaking design and awe-inspiring driving experiences,” explained General Motors North America President Mark Reuss. “The all-new Corvette goes farther than ever, thanks to today’s advancements in design, technology and engineering.”
The new Stingray shares only two parts with the previous six generations of Corvette. It incorporates an all-new frame structure and chassis, a new powertrain and supporting technologies, as well as completely new exterior and interior designs.
• An interior that includes real carbon fiber, aluminum and hand-wrapped leather materials, two new seat choices - each featuring a lightweight magnesium frame for exceptional support - and dual eight-inch configurable driver / infotainment screens
• Advanced driver technologies, including a five-position Drive Mode Selector that tailors 12 vehicle attributes to the fit the driver’s environment and a new seven-speed manual transmission with Active Rev Matching that anticipates gear selections and matches engine speed for perfect shifts every time
• An all-new 6.2L LT1 V-8 engine combines advanced technologies, including direct injection, Active Fuel Management, continuously variable valve timing and an advanced combustion system that delivers more power while using less fuel
• Lightweight materials, including a carbon fiber hood and removable roof panel; composite fenders, doors and rear quarter panels; carbon-nano composite underbody panels and a new aluminum frame help shift weight rearward for an optimal 50/50 weight balance that supports a world-class power-to-weight ratio
• A sculptured exterior features advanced high-intensity discharge and light-emitting diode lighting and racingproven aerodynamics that balance low drag for efficiency and performance elements for improved stability and track capability
• Track-capable Z51 Performance Package including: an electronic limitedslip differential, dry-sump oiling system, integral brake, differential and transmission cooling, as well as a unique aero package that further improves highspeed stability.
The 2014 Corvette Stingray coupe goes on sale in the third quarter of 2013.