ISRI Releases Public Notice On Proposed Auto Bumper Plastics Addition
The Institute of Scrap Recycling Industries (ISRI) Board of Directors recently approved the addition of an auto bumper plastics specification to the plastics specifications listed in the Scrap Specifications Circular.
As per ISRI’s Policy Manual, any party may submit to ISRI a written appeal of the ISRI Board’s approval of this new specification up to 30 days after publication of this notice. Written appeals must provide a rationale and a request for action and should be sent to ISRI President Robin Wiener.
The specification is as follows:
- Name: Post Consumer TPO Plastic Automotive Bumper Covers
- Description: This grade consists of painted auto bumper covers removed from motor vehicles.
- Product: Post-Consumer Auto Part
- Source: Post-Consumer material generated by collision or refurbishment centers or automobile dismantlers.
- Contamination: The following parts must be removed from the bumper cover: headlamps, taillamps, grills, emblems, rub strips, reflectors and any other components attached to the bumper. Everything attached to the bumper cover should be removed before baling. Contamination should be limited to small metal parts such as clips, bolts and screws. No TPU or RIM Plastic allowed.
ISRI represents more than 1,300 companies in 21 chapters in the United States and 35 countries that process, broker, and consume scrap commodities, including metals, paper, plastics, glass, rubber, electronics, and textiles, visit www.isri.org for more information.